Reacting to the Senate vote, Pres. Biden commended Republican leaders for negotiating the agreement in good faith.
President Joe Biden says he will sign the Fiscal Responsibility Act into law on Saturday after the Senate voted in favor of the budget agreement. The president hailed bipartisan cooperation as key to achieving the deal. He commended House Speaker Kevin McCarthy and other Republican leaders for negotiating in good faith.
President Biden said neither Republicans nor Democrats got everything they wanted, but that the American people got what they needed. He said by agreeing to compromise, an economic crisis was averted.
Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer says some Republicans were willing to allow the country to default on its debt. He said “MAGA Republicans” should know that their position on debt won’t work. Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell says the Fiscal Responsibility Act is an “important step towards fiscal sanity.” He says Republicans have and will continue to rein in “Democrats’ reckless spending.”
Meanwhile, Sen. Ted Cruz says he is disappointed that the Senate voted in favor of the debt ceiling agreement. He is “upset this agreement did not cut more, and I’m frustrated this agreement adds a lot to the debt in exchange for relatively few spending cuts.” Sen. Cruz says there is no reason for the U.S. to maintain COVID-emergency spending levels.
Sen. Tim Kaine said while he voted in favor of the bill to avert a default, he was disappointed he was unable to strip the bill of its Mountain Valley Pipeline provision. He had introduced an amendment on Thursday to stop fast-tracking the pipeline, which allegedly “takes away Virginians’ land.” He said the corporation behind the pipeline shouldn’t be allowed to bypass due process by going to Congress.
Media Coverage (21)
- Al Jazeera
- Deal to raise debt ceiling passes US Senate, heads to Biden
- Associated Press
- Deal approved, Biden will address budget, debt agreement from Oval Office Friday evening
- How Biden and McCarthy struck a debt limit deal and staved off a catastrophe
- Debt ceiling bill clears Senate, heads to Biden’s desk
- BBC News
- Congress approves debt deal, averting a US default
- Christian Science Monitor
- Debt deal reinforces Biden as consensus builder
- Down to the wire: Senate approves debt ceiling deal, Biden to sign
- Fox News
- Biden to address nation after Congress passes bipartisan debt ceiling bill, averting default
- Senate OKs bipartisan debt ceiling bill, AI drone simulation kills operator and more top headlines
- Senate passes bipartisan debt ceiling bill, sends to Biden’s desk
- France 24
- US Senate passes bipartisan debt deal avoiding potential first-ever default
- New York Times
- Debt CeilingSenate on Brink of Passing Debt Limit Bill
- Biden to tout bipartisan debt ceiling deal in first Oval Office address
- South China Morning Post
- Joe Biden hails ‘big win’ as US Congress passes debt ceiling deal, averting default
- The Hill
- Debt ceiling deal patches over chaotic budget process
- Biden to tout debt limit deal in address
- Senate approves bill to avert national default, sending it to Biden’s desk
- Schumer announces agreement to pass debt ceiling bill late Thursday
- Democratic tensions swirl as Senate takes up debt deal
- United Press International
- From Oval Office, Joe Biden will address nation, discuss recent debt limit deal
- Washington Post
- Biden expected to sign debt ceiling bill, deliver remarks from White House