Wagner chief reports 20,000 of its troops were killed in the battle for Bakhmut.
The Russian Defence Ministry said more than 70 attackers were killed in its operation to repel cross-border raiders who entered the country’s Belgorod region from Ukraine.
“In the course of the counter-terrorist operation, as a result of air strikes, artillery fire, and active action by the units of the Western Military District that covered the state border, the nationalist formations have been blocked and destroyed. The remaining nationalists were pushed back into Ukraine, where they continued to be hit until they have been completely eliminated,” the Russian Defence Ministry reported.
The ministry stated: “The enemy losses were over 70 Ukrainian terrorists, four armored fighting vehicles, and five pickup trucks.”
Belgorod regional Governor Vyacheslav Gladkov claimed an 85-year-old civilian had suffered a “slight contusion” during the Armed Forces of Ukraine’s activities in the Graivoronsky urban district.
Meanwhile, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said the first Ukrainian F-16 will be one of the “strongest signals from the world that Russia will only lose because of its own aggression, becoming weaker and more isolated.” Additionally, Zelenskyy appealed to the people of Iran to not side with “Russian aggression,” on the reasoning that Russia uses Iranian kamikaze drones to attack Ukrainian targets.
- Telegram: Contact @vvgladkov
- VK.com | VK
- Володимир Зеленський on Twitter
- The first Ukrainian F-16 will be one of the strongest signals from the world that Russia will only lose – address by the President of Ukraine
- Russian Defence Ministry report on the progress of the special military operation (23 May 2023)
Media Coverage (8)
- Associated Press
- Russia says it shot down drones in border region after raid from Ukraine territory
- Fox News
- Ukraine likely behind Kremlin drone attack, U.S. officials say: report
- France 24
- 🔴 Live: Russian border region Belgorod targeted by overnight drone attacks, says official
- New York Times
- Ukrainians Were Likely Behind Kremlin Drone Attack, U.S. Officials Say
- Russia-Ukraine WarRussian Military Response Questioned After Rare Assault Inside Borders
- Russia says cross-border attack from Ukraine has been crushed, one civilian killed
- The Hill
- Ukraine likely responsible for Kremlin drone attack, US says
- US officials believe Ukraine was likely responsible for Kremlin drone attack: report