Russian missile attack on Ukraine knocks out Europe’s largest nuclear plant and kills 6
Russia carries out mass missile attack across Ukraine, cutting off the Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant and claiming 6 lives.
Russia has carried out a series of missile strikes across Ukraine, hitting residential buildings and infrastructure. The attack claimed the lives of six people and caused temporary power, heat, and water outages in the Kyiv, Kirovohrad, Dnipropetrovskina, Odesa, Kharkiv, Zaporizhzhia, Lviv, Ivano-Frankivsk, Zhytomyr, and Vinnytsia regions.
The missile strike cut off power to the Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant. As a result, all 20 of the site’s emergency diesel generators were activated. This is the sixth time Europe’s largest nuclear power site has been run on its last defense line.
The director general of the International Atomic Energy Agency called for a commitment to protecting the plant as he was “astonished by the complacency.” “Each time we are rolling a dice. And if we allow this to continue time after time then one day our luck will run out,” said Rafael Grossi.
The Russian Ministry of Defense said the strikes were a response to “the terrorist acts in the Bryansk region organized by the Kiev regime on March 2nd.”
Zelenskyy condemned the attacks, stating, “The enemy launched 81 rockets, trying to intimidate Ukrainians again, returning to their pathetic tactics. That’s all they are capable of. But it won’t help them. Responsibility for everything committed will not pass them.”
- Zelenskyy address
- Тяжка ніч. Масована ракетна атака… – Володимир Зеленський | Facebook
- Russian Defence Ministry report on the progress of the special military operation
- Director General Statement to the Board of Governors – 9 March 2023 | IAEA
Media Coverage (14)
- Al Jazeera
- Six killed as Russian missile barrage slams into Ukrainian cities
- Russia fires barrage of missiles on Ukraine cities, officials say
- Russia-Ukraine war: List of key events, day 379
- Associated Press
- Russian missiles target cities across Ukraine, officials say
- Russian missiles strike cities across Ukraine
- BBC News
- Ukraine war: Why Russia’s infrastructure strikes strategy isn’t working
- Ukraine war: Russia fires hypersonic missiles in new barrage
- Ukraine war: Russian air strikes hit cities across country
- Fox News
- Russia’s ‘mass missile attack’ across Ukraine kills 6 as Zelenskyy rips Putin’s ‘pathetic tactics’
- Russia launches major missile barrage across Ukraine, impacting Kyiv and the Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant
- France 24
- 🔴 Live: Russia launches airstrikes on cities across Ukraine
- United Press International
- Russia launches dozens of missiles at Ukraine; Zaporizhzhia knocked off power grid
- Washington Post
- Russia fires barrage of hypersonic missiles, piercing Ukrainian air defenses
- Ukraine live briefing: Widespread missile attacks target cities across Ukraine