Powerful storm threatens tornadoes in the Southeast as heavy snow continues in the West
The greatest threat of wind damage is expected between the Ohio River and the Atlanta Metro.
A powerful storm is expected to “bring multiple hazards” as it pushes northwards from the Southern Plains. Meanwhile, heavy snowfall will continue in California, according to the National Weather Service.
“A strengthening storm system will be producing widespread hazardous conditions over the next two days as it pushes northeastward from the Southern Plains Thursday afternoon, across the Lower to Middle Mississippi Valley and Ohio Valley region on Friday and into the Northeast Friday night and Saturday,” reads the NWS’s forecast from Thursday.
“The heavy rain/flash flooding and severe weather threat will then push through the Ohio Valley and Tennessee Valleys on Friday as the strong storm continues to move steadily northeastward,” continues the report.
The report continues: “Heavy snowfall of 6” or greater will also develop across northern Illinois, northern Indiana, and southern portions of the L.P. of Michigan on Friday. It is expected to spread to the Northeast and New England into Saturday “with snow totals of 6-12″+ possible across Upstate and Northern New York, all of Vermont, New Hampshire, northern Massachusetts, and southern Maine.”
The Storm Prediction Center warns that “Severe thunderstorms capable of damaging winds and a few tornadoes will be possible on Friday across parts of the Southeast into the Tennessee and Ohio Valleys,” threatening an “impressively strong southerly flow of 50 to 60 knots” with gusts exceeding 70 knots in some areas.
The greatest threat of wind damage is expected from near the Ohio River to the northwest of the Atlanta Metro.
- National Weather Service
- WPC’s Short Range Public Discussion
- NOAA/NWS Storm Prediction Center
- Storm Prediction Center Mar 3, 2023 0600 UTC Day 1 Convective Outlook
Media Coverage (4)
- Powerful storm set to deliver threat of tornadoes and damaging winds to the South as snow continues in the West
- Fox News
- Flights into, out of Texas canceled with storms approaching
- Washington Post
- The South’s winter of tornadoes could be just a prelude to storm season
- Texas, South brace for dangerous storm outbreak, tornado threat Thursday