‘Last opportunity:’ IPCC Climate Report calls for urgent action
The U.N. Secretary-General says the report is “a survival guide for humanity.”
On Monday, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) released the latest Synthesis Report on Climate Change for the Sixth Assessment Report during the Panel’s meeting in Interlaken, Switzerland.
Titled: “Urgent climate action can secure a livable future for all,” the report summarizes “multiple, feasible and effective options to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and adapt to human-caused climate change.” The goal is to achieve the 1.5°C limit on global warming per the Paris Agreement.
“We are heading towards 2.2-3.5°C warming,” warned Prof Petteri Taalas, Secretary-General of the World Meteorological Organization, at the meeting. He emphasized the need to accelerate climate generation for the sake of future generations.
At the same time, U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres called the Synthesis Report “a survival guide for humanity” while suggesting his own Acceleration Agenda to reach global net zero by 2050.
“The climate time-bomb is ticking. But the latest report by the IPCC is a how-to guide to defuse that time bomb,” said Guterres.
- IPCC on Twitter
- IPCC on Twitter
- IPCC report
- A how-to guide to defuse the climate time-bomb.
- World Meteorological Organization on Twitter
Media Coverage (13)
- Al Jazeera
- UN calls for rapid, ambitious action to tackle climate crisis
- ‘Point of no return’: UN report to provide stark climate warning
- Associated Press
- World on ‘thin ice’ as UN climate report gives stark warning
- UN report: Window for limiting global warming is closing
- BBC News
- Five things we’ve learned from UN climate report
- UN climate report: Scientists release ‘survival guide’ to avert climate disaster
- ‘The climate time-bomb is ticking’: The world is running out of time to avoid catastrophe, new UN report warns
- Christian Science Monitor
- UN report urges all-out climate push – now
- Last opportunity to stop worst of climate change, says UN report
- France 24
- UN reports devastating climate impacts to hit faster than expected
- UN to release capstone report on climate change amid rising carbon emissions
- United Press International
- IPCC: Chances to save planet from global warming’s worst are running out
- Washington Post
- World is on brink of catastrophic warming, UN climate change report says