International Criminal Court issues arrest warrant for Putin over alleged war crimes
Russia is not a signatory to the Rome Statute of the ICC.
The International Criminal Court (ICC) has issued arrest warrants for Russia’s President Vladimir Putin and Children’s Rights Commissioner Maria Lvova-Belova. It alleges they committed war crimes by unlawfully deporting and transferring children from occupied areas in Ukraine to Russia.
ICC Prosecutor Karim Khan says children cannot be treated as “spoils of war.”
Russia’s foreign ministry spokeswoman says the ICC announcement is negligible as it is not a signatory to the Rome Statute of the ICC and is not obliged to follow its rulings.
Echoing her, the Russian Security Council’s deputy chairman says the arrest warrant is worthless. Meanwhile, the Chairman of Russia’s lower house of parliament has said any attack on President Putin is an act of aggression against the country.
Ukrainian, EU and Canadian foreign affairs officials have welcomed the ICC decision, as have Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International.
- ICC statement
- ICC prosecutor statement
- Ukrainian foreign affairs minister tweet
- Russian MFA spokeswoman statement
- Dmitry Medvedev tweet
- Canadian FM tweet
- EU foreign policy chief tweet
- Human Rights Watch tweet
- Amnesty International secretary general’s tweet
- State Duma chairman statement
Media Coverage (15)
- Al Jazeera
- Q&A: What the ICC arrest warrants mean for Russia’s Putin
- All you need to know about the ICC’s arrest warrant for Putin
- ICC issues arrest warrant for Putin on war crime allegations
- Associated Press
- How a warrant for Putin puts new spin on Xi visit to Russia
- ICC issues arrest warrant for Putin over Ukraine war crimes
- International Criminal Court issues arrest warrant for Putin
- BBC News
- Will Vladimir Putin ever face a war crimes trial?
- Can Vladimir Putin actually be arrested?
- Putin arrest warrant issued over war crime allegations
- Christian Science Monitor
- International Criminal Court targets Putin, issues arrest warrant
- Fox News
- What’s the ICC that issued Putin’s arrest warrant and what consequences does he face?
- International Criminal Court issues Putin arrest warrant over child deportations from Ukraine
- South China Morning Post
- Arrest warrant for Vladimir Putin issued over Ukraine war crimes by International Criminal Court
- United Press International
- ICC issues arrest warrant for Vladimir Putin in connection with Ukraine war
- Washington Post
- ICC issues arrest warrant for Putin over war crimes in Ukraine