Emergency crews respond to train derailment in Clark County, Ohio
Ohio EPA Director Vogel: "There was no release of any chemicals, no release of any materials to the soil, to the air, to the water."
One month after the hazardous derailment in East Palestine, another Norfolk Southern train derailed in Ohio at 4:45 pm EST on Saturday, this time in Clark County. Approximately 20 of the train’s 212 cars derailed in the incident.
Following the derailment on State Route 41, the Clark County Emergency Management Agency directed residents within 1000 feet to “shelter-in-place out of an abundance of caution.” They also noted that 1500 residents were left without power. The shelter-in-place order was lifted by 2 am Sunday.
Anne Vogel, director of the Ohio EPA, stated, “There was no release of any chemicals, no release of any materials to the soil, to the air, to the water.” She noted that one PVC pellet car had made contact with the soil and stated the EPA would remain on site to ensure that “the soil is not impacted under the ground” as Norfolk Southern removes the derailed cars.
Gov. DeWine tweeted, “We don’t believe hazardous materials were involved,” adding that “President Biden and Secretary Buttigieg called me to offer help from the federal government.” Buttigieg noted, “we will continue to monitor closely, and FRA personnel are en route.”
Clark County EMA announced that the repair of the affected railway at Ohio 41 would be carried out by Norfolk Southern this morning, after which the route will reopen to traffic.
- Ohio Emergency Management Agency on Twitter
- VIDEO: Officials speak in Clark Co. press conference
- Governor Mike DeWine on Twitter
- Secretary Pete Buttigieg on Twitter
- Another Norfolk Southern train derails in Springfield, Ohio | WNT – YouTube
- Drone video shows Norfolk Southern freight train derailment in Springfield, Ohio – YouTube
- Clark County, Ohio
Media Coverage (6)
- Norfolk Southern freight train derails in Clark County, Ohio, prompting shelter-in-place order ‘out of abundance of caution’
- Fox News
- Ohio hazmat, emergency crews respond to train derailment near Springfield
- Another Norfolk Southern train derails in Ohio; railroad says no toxins aboard
- United Press International
- Train derails in Ohio weeks after toxic chemical spill in East Palestine
- Wall Street Journal
- Norfolk Southern’s Second Ohio Derailment Is Investigated
- Washington Post
- Another Norfolk Southern train derails in Ohio