Chinese Foreign Minister says U.S. is on path to confrontation and conflict
Qin called on the U.S. to honor its commitments to the principle of mutual respect and cooperate with China.
During a press conference on Tuesday, Chinese Foreign Minister Qin Gang highlighted the deepening tensions between China and the U.S. He cited the “unmanned airship” incident and oppositional positions on the Russo-Ukrainian war as causes.
Qin’s news conference took place in Beijing on the margins of the First Session of the 14th National People’s Congress.
“The United States claims that it seeks to “out-compete” China but does not seek conflict. Yet in reality, its so-called “competition” means to contain and suppress China in all respects and get the two countries locked in a zero-sum game,” Qin said.
He added that “If the United States does not hit the brake but continues to speed down the wrong path, no amount of guardrails can prevent derailing, and there will surely be conflict and confrontation.”
Qin stated that China would continue to follow the principles of mutual respect, peaceful coexistence, and win-win cooperation, to pursue a sound and stable relationship with the United States.
- Foreign Minister Qin Gang Meets the Press
Media Coverage (12)
- Al Jazeera
- China FM warns of ‘conflict’ if US stays on path of confrontation
- Associated Press
- Chinese minister warns China, US on course for conflict
- China warns of path to “confrontation and conflict” with U.S.
- BBC News
- Suppressing China won’t make America great – Chinese Foreign Minister Qin Gang
- China’s new foreign minister warns of conlifct with US, defends Russia ties
- Fox News
- China, US heading for ‘conflict and confrontation,’ foreign minister warns
- Xi accuses US of ‘suppression,’ ‘containment’ of China
- France 24
- China warns US risks conflict with moves to contain Beijing
- China warns US against suppressing it or risk ‘conflict’
- Taiwan warns of China’s ‘repeated provocations’, China tells US not to cross red line
- United Press International
- Chinese foreign minister warns U.S. tensions could escalate to ‘confrontation and conflict’
- Washington Post
- China’s foreign minister predicts impending clash with United States