House of Representatives
Capitol riots inquiry to begin on Tuesday. Pelosi enlists two GOP members to committee.
Where: Washington DC
▪ This week marks the beginning of the first full congressional inquiry into the January 6th Capitol attack, held by a select committee.
▪ Two police officers from the Capitol’s protection squad and two from DC police will provide their first public testimony on the events of January 6th.
▪ Democrats originally wanted an independent special commission consisting of equal representation from both parties, but the proposal did not pass the Senate.
▪ In response, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi formed a select committee seeking nominations from the GOP.
▪ Out of the five nominations from the GOP, Pelosi rejected two (Jim Jordan and Jim Banks), leading to Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy boycotting the commission.
▪ Pelosi has since added republican Adam Kinzinger to the committee, bringing its total membership to 10, including republican Liz Cheney.
Direct, authoritative source material on this story.
Articles Citable has ingested related to this story.
Percentage of day’s news
Citable analysis assessing the language of each article related to the story as positive, negative or neutral.
Publications covering this story along with their cumulative positive or negative sentiment.