Harris visits Guatemala on first foreign trip as VP. Agenda focussed on immigration.
▪ On Monday, Kamala Harris met Guatemalan President Alejandro Giammattei on her first international diplomatic trip as VP.
▪ Next on Harris’ agenda is a meeting with Mexico’s President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador later this week.
▪ Following the bilateral meeting, Harris announced the following: Anticorruption task force, Human smuggling and trafficking task force, US-Guatemala young women’s empowerment initiative, and Increase economic activity.
▪ In a news conference with Giammettei, Harris warned against illegal immigration to the US, saying, “If you come to our border, you will be turned back.”
▪ She is also expected to meet with local business leaders to address problems including corruption and lack of economic opportunities.
▪ Harris will also be discussing a new round of funding for the region. The White House has announced $310 million to aid food shortages and disaster recovery.
Direct, authoritative source material on this story.
Articles Citable has ingested related to this story.
Percentage of day’s news
Citable analysis assessing the language of each article related to the story as positive, negative or neutral.
Publications covering this story along with their cumulative positive or negative sentiment.