Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) head nomination subject to approval from the US Senate
April 28, 2021
Joe Biden, ICE, Ed Gonzalez
Biden nominates Texas Sheriff to lead ICE. Sheriff Gonzalez has been serving since 2017.
▪ President Biden nominated Texas Sheriff Ed Gonzalez to lead the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) force on April 27, 2020.
▪ Ed Gonzalez has been the sheriff of Harris County since 2017.
▪ Shortly after induction, Gonzalez withdrew Harris County participation in the ICE program that trained officers to identify inmates who qualify for deportation.
▪ Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas stated, “With a distinguished career in law enforcement and public service, Sheriff Gonzalez is well-suited to lead ICE as the agency advances our public safety and homeland security mission. I hope the Senate will swiftly confirm Sheriff Gonzalez to this critical position.”
▪ The nomination is pending approval from the US Senate.
Direct, authoritative source material on this story.
Articles Citable has ingested related to this story.
Percentage of day’s news
Citable analysis assessing the language of each article related to the story as positive, negative or neutral.
Publications covering this story along with their cumulative positive or negative sentiment.